I am in the transitional phase and boy is it hard. Those cravings totally throw me off track, yet I try not to be too hard on myself.When I have a crave attack for delectable vegan carrot cake or garden of eatin’ chips. I indulge, reflect and realize that I take comfort in food when I’m stressed or unsatisfied with something in my life.I was on my fav blog and stumbled on this Inspirational article called Why Raw food? by Tanya.Some people can take the plunge and enter into becoming an Vegetarian, vegan or raw foodist cold turkey. If that isn’t how you approach things, try this approach. The gradual approach is the one I am currently using and have used to transition from a SAD (Standard American diet) to Vegetarian, then to a Vegan and now a Raw Vegan.
♥ Here are some informative books that will introduce you to the veg lifestyle ♥
The Kind Diet – Alicia Silverstone – Hardcover
Easy Sexy Raw – Carol Alt – Paperback
Rawesomely Vegan! – Mike Snyder – Hardcover
Quick Boho Tips
- First I started off cooking one Veg meal a week. You can give it a interesting titled theme. Such as Meat-less Monday, Tofu Tuesday, Tempeh Thursday or Seitan Saturday.
- I found that I enjoyed working with a theme. I did Mexican Tempeh Thurs every week. Tempeh tacos or chips w/guac,lentils,Spanish quinoa and homemade corn tortillas with all the toppings.Experiment with different themes such as Indian, Asian, Mexican and American with different combos using tofu, seitan, tempeh etc..Most importantly have fun and take your time. If you don’t have a specific ingredient a recipe requires, get creative and substitute it with something you have on hand.
- Gradually I realized that the compassion I felt for animals extended beyond my food consumption.It included the products I used in my home, the clothing I wore and the personal products I used. I packed up products and clothing that used animal glycerin or gelatin, wool,suede, leather or any type or animal ingredient and donated it to the American Kidney Fund.
- There are plenty of charitable organizations to donate goods to. Just check out your local Salvation Army, Goodwill or other local agencies.
- Transitioning to a Raw Vegan has proven to be a tab bit trickier for me. I currently make smoothies for breakfast and salads for lunch or dinner. I incorporate some healthy cooked food such as lentils, quinoa and legumes. Then I have my moments of utter weakness. Its good to acknowledge it, journal and then work on getting myself back on track.
Here’s to the Best possible you.